Popsicles are something we have missed since cutting out added sugar. I searched and searched for a name brand popsicle that doesn’t use any sugar substitute, but have yet to find one. So I started experimenting with popsicles at home.
I found that if you juice a few apples, it makes a great liquid base. Then you can just puree any fruit you have on hand to add to it, and it tastes great! You can modify this tropical recipe to your own liking, or just change to whatever fruit is in season at the time.
- 3 red apples (If you don’t own a juicer, you need 12 oz. of organic, no sugar added apple juice)
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple
- 1/4 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 kiwi, peeled and cut in half
- juice from one slice of orange
- Wash and quarter the apples.
- Use your juicer to juice the apples. It should make about 12 oz.
- Place the pineapple, strawberries, banana and kiwi in your blender and puree until smooth.
- Add the apple juice and orange juice to your blender, mix until well blended or to the texture you like.
- Pour your liquid into popsicle molds, and freeze over night. This recipe made enough for 10-12 popsicles so if you don’t have that many molds, you can either drink the remaining liquid over ice, or freeze it in a tupperware container for more of a sorbet. Enjoy!