Have you ever had Chili’s enchilada soup? It’s one of my favorites. So I searched for recipes that came close, and modified this one so it didn’t have any added sugar. Throw it is the crock pot all day, and you come home to a delicious soup all ready to eat.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 (8 oz). can tomato sauce
- 1 (19 oz.) can enchilada sauce (or two 10 oz. cans)
- 6 small corn tortillas, minced
- 24 oz. shredded cheese
- 1 22 oz. bag Tyson roasted and diced chicken, thawed
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- Optional garnishes: sour cream, shredded cheese, crunchy tortilla strips
- In a skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat, and saute’ the onions until they are tender.
- Add the minced garlic and cook another minute or two, then scrape the onions and garlic into your crock pot.
- Add all the other ingredients, except the chicken and corn. Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
- Whisk until smooth (you may wish to use a stick blender). Add the chicken pieces and corn and heat through, about another 30-60 minutes.
- Garnish as you like before serving. Enjoy!